Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Faith is believing that the outcome will be what it should be, no matter what it is.  ~Colette Baron-Reid

Today went well in court for my son Jack. The Judge gave him a court date in June.
As I mentioned earlier, there was a very good chance that he could of received a jail sentence
at any one of his 3 recent court dates (arraignments) because he has broken the conditions of his bond. The last of the arraignments are over now he has three actual court dates in place.

Moving on;
So he now has a court date in May and two court dates in June. These dates will
be the deciding factor if he is sentenced to jail time or not. So he (and me) are in
that "waiting game" of life again.

I am not sure that Jack is on the mission of turning his life around or not. He talks
a good talk, but that is a trait of addicts, they learn to con very well. He often says to me
‘mom, stop worrying about me and just live your own life". I then have to remind him that
he is unemployed and lives with me. I am paying on his school loan I co-signed for and
it was a program he never completed. I am still paying on a credit card I used to fix his old car. He lost his license to a DUI so I have to transport him to court. I transport him to court because I paid for his bailbond and I can’t afford to lose that money if he doesn’t make it there. Plus, he steals from me. The most recent that floored me happened just a few weeks ago. I finally treated myself to a couple new pieces of clothing, as all of mine are starting to look old and worn. I purchased a pair of pants and a shirt from the local Kmart. Unbelievably, Jack went into my bedroom and took the shirt out of the shopping bag and the receipt and RETURNED IT and kept the money. Unbelievable isn’t it? When he says "stop worrying about me and just live your own life" he is sincere about it, which just goes to show how sad the disease really is that he can’t even see the impact his addiction has on MY life.
Ok, now I hear you all screaming at me "kick him out! You’re enabling him!", ‘You fool!"
Have you ever heard the song "What's it like...God forbid you had to walk a mile in their shoes"
by Everlast? I have included a link to YOUTUBE so you can hear it. Listen to it,
and that’s about the sum of my answer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9f9Eybv4I


You have to remember from my earlier blog that I mentioned I am from a family of
alcoholics, I became an alcoholic and I married an alcoholic. So I understand addiction,
I understand anger against addicts and better yet, I appreciate support and forgiveness.
Plus, I have booted him out onto the streets before. When he lived in the streets he became
strung out. When I came across him I took him back in and revived him. Now, he
struggles with using and it is still ruining his life, but he is not strung out.
So, with that experience under my belt, and the fact that I made the choice to post
his bail, I elect to try to keep him off the streets at least until he makes his
final court date so I don’t have to come up with the rest of the bail bond.
So there is a method to my madness….I guess???

I have already provided you insight of what it was like living with an alcoholic father in earlier posts. My next blog I will tell what it was like being an alcoholic mother, ME!

Until we meet again…be safe and keep the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment