Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't Give Up

Well hello, welcome back.  Today’s post is about not giving up. Whether you are the addict or
the loved one of the addict, DO NOT GIVE UP!

If you’re the loved one of the addict:

As you search for answers/help with your situation you will come
across phrases such as: Enabler, Co-dependent and Tough Love.

My definitions are:
Enabler: you allow the addict to live with you or you bail them out in many more ways than one, thus
allowing the addict to continue the addiction with a comfort zone.
Co-dependent: You have become so use to the stress and burden of the addict that you are
 actually use to these feelings and you feel you would be useless if that person was to move
out.
Tough Love: You detach yourself from the addict and cut off all contact so they are forced
to see the reality of their addiction and they realize they cannot make it in the world on their own
if they continue with the addiction.

Over the next few weeks I will tell you of my experience with all of the above and hope it
will shed some insight to your situation.

No matter what decisions you make on how to handle the situation with the addict, do not
give up hope. I enforce this motto by having a religious faith. I have found that my strong
faith in God has kept me sane. I have included two links to wonderful radio stations that play
contemporary encouraging songs that promote hope and faith.  If you do not already belong to a religious facility then I encourage you to at least listen to one of these radio stations. In regards to finding a religious facility that is suited to you and your beliefs start by asking around, co-workers, family or friends, then, try them out. Attend services and see if it feels right for you. Don’t give up if
the first few places you try do not fit your style. There is one out there for you. Again,
start with the radio stations I have listed and you will feel a slight bit of the burden start to lift.
And, PRAY, try it, it’s free and puts your tired and stressed out mind into a different mode for
a few moments.  DON’T GIVE UP!


If you’re the addict:

Stop it, just plain stop it now. Easier said than done, I know. I have been both,
the alcoholic parent and made my son the victim and though I am a non drinker now, I am now the victim of a heroin addicted son.

Here’s some input to hopefully help you.

If you are young and living with parents and your “partying"has not turned into an
 addiction YET…stop, stop now. Especially if the family you are living with
are drinkers, addicts or abusive to you. You repeating their behavior is not the way to go.
Stand strong, realize you will soon be a young adult and out on your own and that miserable
lifestyle you are currently in will be behind you.
If you stay on the straight and narrow path now you will pull out of that miserable lifestyle of drugs and alcohol and YOU WILL BE THE ONE TO BREAK THAT CHAIN of misery.
It’s tough, I know. Remember, if a so called “friend” or “peer” is waving drugs or alcohol
in front of you, most likely they are in it for the money they will get from you buying it.
Especially drug dealers,  they appear to be your friend, will often offer the first time free
because that is all it takes to get you hooked. Once hooked, the dealer (or as you think
of them, “your friend”) will own you. You are now supporting them financially. The addiction
will destroy your life and enhance their financial life. Please be aware of this and avoid
these type of people at all cost. 

Try taking your mind off your peer problems or home life problems. Get lost in reading books,
the library is free and offers a safe environment, strive to get incredible great school grades, join a church group or an after school program. If your home situation or peer pressure situation is starting to scare you too much, seek adult help from someone you trust, School Counselors or Church Counselors, just don’t give up trying to find an adult to help you. 

If you are using and feel it’s time to get the help you need I suggest that if you don’t
already have a religious faith, you seek one out. If your using there is a good chance
the folks you are hanging out with do not follow a faith. Break away from these people,
walk into a religious facility and try it. If it is not your thing, try another.
If you are not ready to take such a step, try listening to one of the radio
stations I listed on my blog, I have attached the links. Contact one of the organizations
I listed on my blog with a link. Pray, try it. Believe in a higher power. Try it.
Just take that first step. Don’t give up!

If you follow my blog over the next several weeks I will give you true stories of how
addiction has ruined good people’s lives.

Thought for the day: DON’T GIVE IN TO DRUGS AND DON”T GIVE UP SEEKING HELP.

Thanks for reading, hang in there and hope you join me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment